Re: Editing a Design Doc.

Subject: Re: Editing a Design Doc.
From: Mary Bull <Mary_Bull -at- DAYNA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 23:34:28 GMT

In article <9411101445 -dot- AA16540 -at- syl -dot- nj -dot- nec -dot- com>, Laurie Rubin
<lmr -at- syl -dot- nj -dot- nec -dot- com> wrote:

> What are your experiences with a design document for a product? Main
> thing is the tense. Should a design document be written using the future
> tense "will" or the present tense "is, are" ?
> Laurie

I've always been asked to use a future tense in design documents but often
have problems with reviewers not understanding the "whys and wherefores."
The main trouble I have with design documents is when reviewers are
actually expecting a content outline. If you try to combine a content
outline and a future tense design document, you end up having to do a lot
of rewriting. Good luck!

Mary Bull || "Mind that bus,
Dayna Communications || what bus, SPLAT."
Salt Lake City, UT || --Arnold J. Rimmer
Mary_Bull -at- dayna -dot- com ||