Re[2]: Creativity and 'cross-linking' in the brain

Subject: Re[2]: Creativity and 'cross-linking' in the brain
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 14:20:00 -0500

Why is the interface rectangular; what keeps it from being round? Oval?

The interface is rectangular because the screen is rectangular because paper is
rectangular. I have no dircet knowledge of this, but I would suspect the next
because in this chain is "because it's cheaper to produce it that way" -- less
waste among other reasons.

The processing overhead required to do the math for any sort of graphical
manipulations on a screen shape other than rectangular may enter in to this
reasoning somewhere as well, although with today's high-end workstations it's
probably not that significant.

Have fun,
Arlen