Re: First and Subsequent use of TM in doc

Subject: Re: First and Subsequent use of TM in doc
From: Jane S Torpie <handson!boston -dot- handson -dot- com!janet -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 17:10:00 PST

Barbi -

Sorry, I don't know of any formal published reference on the use of
trademarks, registered trademarks, copyrights, etc.

But the lawyers retained by one of my former employers told me
that the corporate tail would be covered if I did both of these:
- Put the list of TMs & Rs on the copyright page.
- Use the TM or R the first time in the book that I use the trademarked
word (product name, company, etc.).

They said that using the trademark symbol every time I used the
trademark was not necessary and didn't cover the corporate
tail any more than using it as described above..

They also told me that saying "All trademarks are acknowledged"
or "All trademarks are property of their respective companies" or the
like wasn't exactly air-tight ... it's better to list everything you can
find
and use this as a catch-all for anything you can't find or aren't aware
of. (This applies mostly to TMs ... anyone can TM something,
and you may not know about it, b/c there's no central source listing
TMs.)

Lawyers usually seem pretty formal to me, so perhaps this tidbit
will be helpful to your friend ... ;-)

Jane Torpie
janet -at- handson -dot- com