Re: Math & Writing (A Freudian Analysis)

Subject: Re: Math & Writing (A Freudian Analysis)
From: Matthew Wong <wong -at- ACEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 09:30:06 EST

Friends,

That so much has been said about Math vs. Writing suggests (and I may be
self projecting here) our deep rooted insecurity toward our chosen profession
of technical writing. There are may reasons for this, among them: we don't
get paid as much; companies keep telling us they want their scientists to
do their own writing; and TW is a pretty new professions.

To counter this unconscious insecurity, our superego constructs a defense
based on the cultural (and, if I may add, mythical--in the Roland Barthes
sense) dichotomy of arts and science: that one has a natural proclivity (or
talent) for the arts OR sciences, rarely can one do both well.
Communication is an art (despite the work of linguists and
deconstructionists), and most scientist do not have a flair for this.

Now if we can sell this to our captains of industry, we'll be set for life.

Regards,

Matthew (wong -at- acec -dot- com)