Re: Math vs. writing cont.,

Subject: Re: Math vs. writing cont.,
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 12:25:29 -0800

Kimberley Lackey said:
> But when they only require engineering
> majors to take one writing course, 400 level, they should realize that people
> with weak writing skills won't do well in that senior level course.

Often, universities *require* a higher-level course. This means that
if you look at a particular major, it won't require any more hours (on
the surface) than any other major. But, actually, it requires more
because of prerequisites. This is common practice--I recently read on
the net of a proposal for a redesigned curriculum that looked okay on
the surface, but in actuality would have changed an undergraduate
degree from 4 years to 6! (This didn't pass.)

So I suspect you're wrong if you think the university thinks that students
can just walk into the 400-level course.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com