Re: Math vs. writing

Subject: Re: Math vs. writing
From: Shelly LaRock <smlarock -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 14:01:05 EST

What about those of us who actually did OK in math and
science but just didn't like it? I went through four
quarters of advanced calculus and multiple quarters of
chemistry and physics and mechanical engineering classes.
And I did OK in them!

But I didn't like the teaching methods or atmosphere. Instead
of being friendly and social, my classmates in the math and
science classes were vicious and outrageously competitive.
In the humanities courses, the atmosphere was so much more
relaxed and easy-going. After a five or six classes in
our humanities department, I couldn't go back to the
engineering classes, so I changes my major. I certainly
don't think I was a failure in math and science. I now
look forward to a career as a technical writer, which will
let me enjoy the aspects of math and science I actually like,
as well as use my writing abilities.

For what it's worth,
Shelly La Rock
smlarock -at- mtu -dot- edu