Re: server vs. local

Subject: Re: server vs. local
From: "Rollings, Gill" <WGILLR -at- WOK-MSMAIL-GW -dot- ISL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 11:35:00 PST

Arlen Walker asked whether other list members use a server or their p.c.
hard drive and what the benefits of their choice are.

I am a recent convert from p.c. to server, but I am aware of benefits on
either side. "You pays your money and you takes your choice."

My reasons for preferring to use my p.c. are because it avoids (a) losing
work due to network crashes and (b) getting a slow service from a server on
which I am competing for resources. Lately, about 4 of us have been driven
slowly crazy by print jobs involving tables or graphics hogging the server
and slowing us down. The situation is going to be resolved, but doubtless
something else will crop up (the eternal optimist, me).

However, as others have noted, using a server (a) allows other people
(including those on other sites) to read or edit your work and (b) the
backup service provided by the operations group is more reliable than my
"once in a blue moon" approach to backups. I have developed the habit of
including annotations (we use Word for Windows documents) so that colleagues
can see where I need extra information to complete a document. (Today's
useful tip?)

One of our project managers always insisted on his team using the common
server on the grounds that "if x falls under a bus, their work is accessible
straight away". Another useful tip is to give each member of a project a
sub-directory under their user name for their work. Then everyone knows
where to look for their files. In the end, though, whether you are forced
into it by having dumb terminals or use it from choice, the usefulness of a
server depends on co-operation.

Gill Rollings, Technical Writer, Internet Systems Ltd
gill -dot- rollings -at- isl -dot- com