Thanks re assert/de-assert

Subject: Thanks re assert/de-assert
From: Marsha Wolicki <cmawta -at- TAUX01 -dot- NSC -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 1994 10:56:11 IST

----- Begin Included Message -----
A belated thanks to all who responded intelligently to my request
for suggestions for dealing with "asserted and de-asserted",
especially, Richard Mateosian, Erik Harris and Aahz.

To those who made dumb comments, I recommend that you refrain from
offering suggestions when you know nothing about a subject. I
already knew that de-assert was not in any dictionary. I was trying
to find out whether or not it had become accepted anyway.

The consensus was that although engineers have valid
technical reasons for using these terms, "de-asserted", which is
not grammatically correct, should and usually can be avoided. Usually,
another word can be substituted. Deactivate or drop are sometimes
appropriate. Another option, is to say "driven low" (or high, as the
case may be),

Unfortunately, each instance has to be evaluated by itself to
determine which substitute is most appropriate.

Thanks again,
Marsha
cmawta -at- taux01 -dot- nsc -dot- com