Tech Writing Hierarchy

Subject: Tech Writing Hierarchy
From: "Peggy L. Currid" <plcurrid -at- FIREFLY -dot- PRAIRIENET -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 15:49:12 -0600

I've been a subscriber to this list for a couple of months now. Never had
much to say, but found the discussions to be informatve. Now, I must
delurk and ask for some assistance.

I work as one of three tech writers for a company that provides billing,
accounting, and related sofware and services to telephone companies. In
response to our concern about a lack of a career path for technical
writers at this company, our manager asked me to prepare a proposal to
restructure the tech writing dept. into four levels: junior tech writer;
tech writer; senior tech writer; and project leader. (The titles are
suggestions, not mandates.) For each proposed level, I need to include a
job description, as well as requirements for education, experience,
training, and skills.

I will begin my research with STC materials. However, I also seek
information from fellow professionals. Please e-mail your response to me
(plcurrid -at- firefly -dot- prairienet -dot- org). If there is sufficient interest, I
will summarize the results and post them to this forum.

If your company has a hierarchy (or whatever) of technical writing
positions (or if you ever worked in a place that did), what were the
actual job titles for each level?

Briefly describe the duties associated with each level.

What are the educational requirements for each level?

What other skills and training are required at each level?

Briefly explain how an employee advanced through the levels (i.e., could
an employee automatically advance by virtue of years on the job, or was
extra education/training/whatever necessary for promotion?)

Overall, what is your opinion of the career path/hierarchy?

Many thanks.

Peggy Currid