Servers vs. local

Subject: Servers vs. local
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 11:42:00 -0500

The recent discussion on FrameMaker backups brought a thought to mind. One of
the posters took it as an article of faith that you never work on files on the
server. You first copy them down locally and work on them, then copy them back
up. There's a group here who see the copying as wasted effort, and simply work
off the server. (There's the complete previous edition, and then the "work in
progress".) That way they never have a situation where the server does not
contain the most recent copy.

I'm assuming all version control systems force copying down to local discs. So
for those of you working in networked environments and not using version control
systems:

a) Do you work on the server?

b) What do you see as the *best point* in favor of the way you're doing it?

Have fun,
Arlen