Re: Letters and E-mail

Subject: Re: Letters and E-mail
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 15:03:00 PST

Laila (shamji -at- expert -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu) writes:

I was just talking with a colleague and she said that she was
E-mailing her "thank you" letters to prospective employers after the
interview was conducted. I was wondering if you all thought that that
was an "okay" thing to do. I know that resumes are sent via E-mail
so perhaps it is an "okay" thing to do. Some suggestions/ideas on
this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and responses.
----------
Somewhere, Emily Post is shuddering.

I use email thank yous for lunches with coworkers and other Net buddies. I
suppose that "formal" email thank yous are in our future, but I personally
would prefer to wait until it was the norm rather than being on the cutting
edge of establishing a new etiquette & perhaps appearing too informal. In
other words, I would err on the side of old Aunt Tilly. Besides, emails
seem so disposable; a hard copy might at least make it into your personnel
file, but how many would take the time to print out an email letter to file
it?

But keep in mind, when it comes to manners, I'm a bit conservative; I still
have a hard time believing that some wedding invitations come with little
RSVP cards & SASEs because people wouldn't respond otherwise. Yet you never
know when your email thank you letter might end up in the inbox of an
old-fashioned (though technologically avant garde) person like me!

Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA