Re: binders for the one-armed reader

Subject: Re: binders for the one-armed reader
From: Gwen Gall <ggall -at- CA -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 14:45:02 EDT

Paul Race writes:
Agreed, but has anyone found a solution for this problem that is more
practical than the three-ring approach? I suppose the spiral-bound approach
might be the solution.

What have the rest of your experiences been on spiral-binding, relative
cost, etc.?
*****************************

I don't know about cost, but my O'Reilly System Administration book has a
special type of binding--it's like perfect binding, but the paper ends are not
attached to the spine. They are attached with glue cloth (or whatever this is
called. Then the front cover attaches with the same material to the inside
front page. The same with the back page, only the attachment of the paper to
the cover is actually about a 1/4" away from the spine. This keeps the spine
from preventing pages from lying open, and doesn't cause those unsightly seams
after using. The spine doesn't bend--the glued cloth inner spine does.

I don't know what it's called, but I like it!

I have also seen spiral bound with spine and front cover attached to the back
cover, such as the SunSparc Installation Guide, but I find them to be somewhat
in the way, and always catch when I put them back in the box they come with.

Take care, and may your dog go with you,

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)