Crossing Over Fields

Subject: Crossing Over Fields
From: Rhonda Brown <brownrh -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 10:24:43 MST

I'd like some professional advice from anyone who cares to share. I'm
currently working as a science writer for a national laboratory, but
I'm interested in trying to move over to software documentation. I do
love my job, but there doesn't seem to be much opportunity out there
(in other locations) for the type of work I'm doing now.

If I were planning to remain in my current location, it wouldn't
matter. But I'm hoping to relocate to the south (probably Texas--for
family reasons), where there seem to be numerous jobs in the computer
industry for technical writers. My concern is that I won't be able to
cross over without taking a salary cut, which I cannot afford.

I have a B.A. in journalism and I'm working on a M.S. in Technical
Communication. I have about 5 years of experience in writing and
editing. Any ideas on how I might "break" into documentation?