Re: Use of Object Oriented Programming Terms in Documentation

Subject: Re: Use of Object Oriented Programming Terms in Documentation
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 16:39:48 -0800

Judge it as you would any simile or metaphor, by asking whether
it helps your audience understand something more quickly and/or
deeply. Sometimes metaphors do that. Sometimes the reader spends
a lot of time trying to understand the metaphor without correspon-
ding benefit. Some readers will be misled by reading unintended
and inaccurate shades of meaning into the metaphor, and others
will find it inscrutable or will overlook its depths of meaning.

And then you have instances where the concept is pretty simple,
the required depth of understanding is not exactly the Marianas
Trench, and the simile or metaphor merely impresses the reader
with the author's cleverness. *That* kind of computer writing
can be fun to read sometimes but is easily overdone.

Somehow "printer object" makes me think of "Kirk unit" and it
all goes downhill from there. :)

Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"
Disclaimer: Even if my employer had a position on the subject,
I probably wouldn't be the one stating it on their behalf.