Re: What about minimalism?

Subject: Re: What about minimalism?
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 16:06:44 PDT

Steve and Caryn explained how helpful it is to look at the
manual when trying to figure out how to do something. (It's
humorous to me that even on this list, someone feels this
needs to be mentioned . . .)

Just this morning a coworker asked me for help with illustrations
in Word. I was able to help with part of his problem, but not
all of it. We concluded that he could experiment with it just
as well as I could and he thanked me for my help. As I was
leaving his office, I said, "By the way, have you looked at the
documentation?"

"No."

"I've found it pretty useful when I'm trying to figure out how
to do something."

"Really?" He looked at me like I must be pulling his leg.

I'm in charge of documentation, so you'd think he would've caught
on that I was both being helpful and kinda making fun of him,
too, but if he did he didn't show it. He seemed truly amazed that
looking at the manual might help! (Who knows, maybe he'll really
get crazy and try it sometime!)

The truth is strange . . .

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com