Re: What color suits interviews?

Subject: Re: What color suits interviews?
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <JTCHEW -at- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 10:35:24 -0800

mmb1 -at- aol -dot- com (MMB1) wrote:
> If you ever go to court, make sure your lawyer is wearing a blue suit.
> It was in A.D. 431 that the Virgin Mary was first illustrated wearing
> a blue cloak, and she has worn it ever since."

Blue cloak? For what a good trial lawyer costs, I'd expect
him to show up with the halo and the infant Jesus, too.

Actually, my impression was that the real sharks go for dark
gray or black, with or without subtle pinstripes as taste and
build indicate. (I would also counsel against uncritical
study of what lawyers wear, even to court, having seen one
too many attorneys who would have to improve their taste and
attention to details to pass for plainclothes cops.) A nice
blue pinstripe job will of course get you anywhere but a
wedding or a funeral, as long as we're talking about a medium
to dark blue, not something you'd see on the piano player
at a nightclub.

I'm just glad the chalkstripes that were in favor with some
minions of the Reagan administration never really came to be
considered The Suit (tm) and seem to be passe' now. Wearing
one of those, I'd feel like I was on my way to hose down one
of my business rivals with a tommy gun.

Unless it was a real dirt-under-the-fingernails corporate
culture, I wouldn't recommend nice slacks and a blazer (blue
or camel) as the first choice, but if the situation compels
you to brazen it out with what you have with you, that'll
make most men look good and will honor the seriousness of
the occasion, which are the most important things.

What I *would* recommend is reading _Class_ by Paul Fussell and
a recent edition of _Dress for Success_ (Molloy?), taking both
as general guides rather than punch-list instructions. And if
feasible, take a gander at what the more conservative and
better-heeled members of the local business community are
wearing. (Checking out the company you're applying with is
also a good idea. If their version of The Suit differs from
the norm, you might be able to play along to some extent.)

And whatever you pick, unless you are just out of college and
plainly impoverished, go for something made mostly or entirely
from plant life or sheep hair, not petroleum. And spend a few
bucks for any needed alterations if it's either new or more
than a few years old -- no flood pants, gaposis, sleeves that
crawl up your arms because the jacket is too tight somewhere.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd successfully interviewed
for a few jobs before learning that I should put all my suits
in the recycling bin (#9 -- Other Plastics) and spend more
than my customary $100 apiece for their replacements. :)

Joe