Re: Mouse vs keyboard (was Re: Windows '95)

Subject: Re: Mouse vs keyboard (was Re: Windows '95)
From: Jan Bates <bates -at- KINGFISH -dot- ATT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 1994 12:48:00 GMT

There is no doubt in my mind that some keyboard shortcuts are faster
than using the mouse. I use Frame and am a firm fan of most of their
shortcuts. The two shortcuts I use most frequently are those to
change paragraph and character tags. Even on my fast UNIX box, it
takesa much less time to type ^9 the one or two letters to identify
the tag and press the Enter key than any mouse combination I've found.
To get the advantage, you need to name your tags such that they can be
disambiguated quickly. I use 1Head, 2Head, 1FNum 1Num, 2FNum, 2Num,
and so on.

Jan Bates
ADSS AT&T Bell Labs
Holmdel NJ
bates -at- kingfish -dot- att -dot- com

From att!VM1.ucc.okstate.edu!TECHWR-L Fri Sep 30 00:50:58 1994

>As a touch typist, I hate having to grab a mouse and slide it all over my
>already crowded desk. Keyboard shortcuts allow me to keep up a faster pace.

Bruce Tognazzini in _TOG on Interface_ makes the case about as well as
possible (note I didn't say he convinced me) that the greater speed of
keyboard shortcuts is an illusion. ...RM

Richard Mateosian Technical Writer in Berkeley CA srm -at- c2 -dot- org