Re: Overseas Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Overseas Tech Writing
From: MMB1 <mmb1 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 11:39:06 -0400

In article <3666jq$mhj -at- dcsun4 -dot- us -dot- oracle -dot- com>,
sread -at- nirvana -dot- NoSubdomain -dot- NoDomain (Steve Read) writes:

Steve Read writes:

>Too many pitfalls to list. Want 'em
alphabetically or at random?

Steve,

Random sort will do nicely! Mainly, I'm wondering how you deal with all
the work permit requirements, but any other details are appreciated.

I've worked overseas before (Germany, in an economic development office
sponsored by the Florida Dept. of Commerce, back in the mid-'80s). The
main hazards there were (1) currency fluctuation (I was paid in USD, and
the DM was falling steadily for most of the time I was there) and (2)
government bureaucracy on both sides of the Great Pond. But other than
that, it was fun, it greatly improved my German, and as a first job out of
college it couldn't be beat! (As an added bonus, the work I was considered
tax-exempt by both countries which helped to compensate for the currency
fluctuations, anyway.)

I've been a tech writer for the last three years, and I like the work, the
area I'm living in, now etc. But I still have this little tick at the back
of my mind saying, "It's time to dust off my passport for another
adventure..." :)

So...

Thx/rgds, Madeline Bechtold (mmb1 -at- aol -dot- com or mmb -at- qad -dot- com)