Re: Re[2]: Word

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Word
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 13:17:09 -0825

>>To:Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com
>>From:nburns -at- noao -dot- edu (Nancy S. Burns)
>>Subject:Re: Re[2]: Word
>>
>>>Word for Mac version 5.1 claims in the help screen (under "Documents:
>>>connecting in a series") that you can do just that, including maintaining the
>>>page numbering. I haven't tried it (but I will the next time I get an excuse)
>>>so no data on whether it works as advertised.
>>>Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- Com

To add to the above comments on Word pagination across docs:

I have tried linking multiple Word 5.1 (for the Mac) documents for the
purposes of 1) generating a table of contents and index, and b) continuing
pagination. Because of Word has not consistently continued pagination from
doc to doc, I've had to hard code each document's beginning page number
(despite several calls to Microsoft). However, once doing that, the
contents and index pagination come out just fine.

I'm pleased with Word as a feature-rich word processor with many desk-top
pubs features, but many of these features don't go quite far enough in
making it a full-fledged publishing program, which is what most tech
writers need. If it had been possible for me, I'd have gone with FrameMaker
or Interleaf.

Nancy Burns
nburns -at- noao -dot- edu