About that tenses-gender-number passage

Subject: About that tenses-gender-number passage
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- CCLINK -dot- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 09:50:20 PDT

No, no, it does not mean that someone doesn't know their
tenses/gender/number. I believe it's just the government's way of
saying that they don't want to be misunderstood. For example, "he" is
often understood to mean both "he" and "she," but just in case someone
doesn't understand that, the government says so. I had to laugh at
that passage, though. I think it might also be saying, "We're lazy,
too lazy to ensure that our writing is precise."