Re: PostSript error- Limitcheck

Subject: Re: PostSript error- Limitcheck
From: Marc Paquette <paquette -at- INFINITY -dot- METROWERKS -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 09:34:15 -0500

One September 19, 1994, Tracey Showalter <tshowalt -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM> asks:

> For you Mac worlders out there:

> PrintMonitor has been giving me a message along the lines of the
> following with irritating regularity:

> "A PostScript error has been generated. The error is limitcheck.
> Offending command: image."

[snip]
I assume that your graphics are rather complicated. When I get similar
errors, the following usually clears them up:

1. Give the application more memory. Sometimes I have to give MS-Word
up to 7000K in the Get Info window just to print a single document! Your
mileage may vary.

2. Try simplifying your graphics. Reduce the number of graduated fills,
use straight paths instead of curved paths when you can, use as few
fonts as possible. BTW, these hints are taken from Aldus FreeHand 4.0's
excellent User Manual. Kudos to their authors and designers. :-)

> I've received it when I've printed from a IIci
> with 20 Mb of RAM, a PowerMac 6100/60AV with 16 Mb of RAM, to an HP
> IIIsi and 4si, using a generic IIIsi printer driver, the HP
> LaserJet 8.1.1 univeral printer driver (configured for both the IIIsi
> and the 4si, respectively), and the LaserWriter 8.1 driver
> (also configured for the appropriate printers.)

3. Last resort: I've heard of HP laser printers sometimes choking on even
the simplest documents. Try printing on a mid to high-end Apple LaserWriter
such as a LaserWriter Pro 600, for example.

I hope that helps, Tracy.

Marc Paquette
Metrowerks Inc.
internet: paquette -at- metrowerks -dot- ca
voice: (514) 747-5999 ext 232