Re: Which Dictionary

Subject: Re: Which Dictionary
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 17:11:19 -0600

On Mon, 19 Sep 1994, Daphne Schor wrote:

> I use the Merriam Webster for spelling. Only.

> I use the American Heritage for definitions and usage notes.

> I use the Compact OED (with magnifier) perhaps twice a week to
> learn how things got this way.

> I have an old Random House unabridged that I still use because I
> like the writing style as much as the definitions.

> I would not/could not use only one Dictionary.

Add to this list such goodies as the Dictionary of American Slang and the
Dictionary of Americanisms, etc. Dictionaries are not only useful tools,
but good reading as well. In fact, it is easy to get just as absorbed in
an interesting word chase as in a good novel.

* RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu *
* Only the curious wil learn and only the resolute overcome the *
* obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited *
* me more than the intelligence quotient. -Eugene S. Wilson_ *