being a radiologist rather than a tech. writer

Subject: being a radiologist rather than a tech. writer
From: Kathryn Seifert <kathryn_seifert -at- IL -dot- US -dot- SWISSBANK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 09:36:26 -0500

I do not understand why people are giving grief to someone who is interested in
becoming a
technical writer. Sure, he is a radiology resident, but so what? Maybe he has
been a
resident long enough to realize that he really does not want to be in the
medical profession. If
he does not like it, should he do it just because it is lucrative?

I do not come from a medical background (although I went through a post-bacc
pre-med
program and took my MCATs), but I do have a MS in computer science. I spent 5
yrs as a
systems analyst with a large management consultancy, took a couple of years off
and
worked as an entertainer, and I am now a technical writer. I could make MUCH
more money
if I had gone back to systems consulting, AND I still have very large student
loans to pay off
.... but you know what? I don't care. I like what I do now - and that is worth
much more than
$100,000/year!

Ole - do what you think will make you happy.

Good luck,
kathryn
seiferk -at- il -dot- us -dot- swissbank -dot- com