Re: need recommendations for dictionary

Subject: Re: need recommendations for dictionary
From: Don M Chaffee <dchaffee -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 1994 04:01:43 GMT

Joe:

If you want to know etymologies, the OED is great; it's also good for
arcane Anglo-Saxon words, terrific quotations, eyestrain, and bed-time
(fall-fast-asleep) reading.

Persons who take writing and editing seriously still use Webster's Second
Unabridged. The Third is heretical, and Houghton Mifflin doesn't know
squat about dictionaries.

W2 is the Big Dic. I keep one open on a stand within reach of my
computer, and another in safe-keeping, in case I ever need to repair a
page in the first copy.

You can usually find a W2 in a good used-book store, or they will happily
find one for you.

Don Chaffee
Riparian Writes