Re: Left intentionally bl

Subject: Re: Left intentionally bl
From: Barb Philbrick <barb -dot- philbrick -at- PCOHIO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 09:33:00 -0500

WK>>I vote on the side of just leaving the page blank. I don't need
WK>words to >tell me it's blank.

WK>Me again:

WK>Maybe writers don't need the words, but what about the readers?
WK>Doesn't it depend on the audience? For instance, if our client is
WK>reading the document and it makes it clearer to him/her, then hasn't
WK>the writer done his/her job?

With the tools available now that can do page number easily and
accurately across an entire document, I use straight-through numbering.
If someone suspects a page is missing, they can see if a page number is
missing.

I also sometimes use end of chapter markings (*** or a line) to let the
reader know it's done. I avoid "this page intentionally blank" unless my
client wants it.

WK>New thread--How does your company handle the his/her dilemma? We
WK>usually use he--not to be sexist or anything, it's just easier.
WK>Note--this is not a standard or rule. It's just done that way most
WK>of the time. Second note--four of the five technical editors are
WK>female, and it doesn't bother any of us. We think of "he" as "the
WK>reader." Thoughts? Flames?

I'm OK with "he" as the generic, too. "She", "s/he", or varying the
"he's and "she's" is distracting to me. However, I usually avoid the
issue by writing in the second person (which I prefer in directions
anyway), or by using "the operator" or "the user."

Barb

barb -dot- philbrick -at- pcohio -dot- com
---
* CMPQwk 1.4 #9107 * A good catchword can obscure analysis for fifty years.