Tech writing, publicity in US

Subject: Tech writing, publicity in US
From: "Fisher, Julie" <fisjl -at- SMTP -dot- VUT -dot- EDU -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 13:54:00 +6

I am not a tech writer but simply an interested researcher in the area but as
the president of our STC equivalent in Australia (no one else wanted the job
I said it was to be temporary) I do have contact with tech writers here. We
have a similar problem of lack of knowledge about the profession but possibly
worse. Tech writing is not yet listed as a profession and does not even have
a job title with our public employment agencies. Very few courses exist at
the tertiary level (3 to be exact and they are all post graduate courses in
professional writing that have tech writing as a component). For our tech
writers it must be extremely difficult explaining what they do for work. I
suspect the same is the case in the UK and Europe.

Julie Fisher
Victoria University of Technology
Australia.