Re: Tech writing, publicity in US

Subject: Re: Tech writing, publicity in US
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 21:17:36 -0700

Faith Weber said:
> >hell, when I tell people what I do, they're like "oh," like I have
> >some sort of disease or what I do sounds REALLY boring.

> I've had the same experience. It seems that most people
> don't know what a tech writer does, and many who do know don't like
> us!

Well, I recently changed careers, from professor of Japanese at a
small liberal arts college in the midwest to technical writer in
Silicon Valley. And I don't think that the way that people perceive me
is any different. Perhaps I've just gone from one arcane field to
another, I dunno.

The only person I know who unfailingly gets an "Oh, how
*interesting*!" as a response is a professional dominatrix.:)

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com