Re: What does a Tech Writer do ....

Subject: Re: What does a Tech Writer do ....
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- CORE -dot- CORP -dot- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 18:06:43 -0500

Sally wrote:

>Hey, wait a minute! Am I way off base or isn't our field's purpose to
>*elucidate* the mysteries of the technical world? Why not be *honest* (how
>refreshing) and tell them, "I don't really know any more about microwaves
>than you do because I write books about ABC brand widgets. But you're
>right; this manual is extremely confusing to a layperson. I would suggest
>you call the toll-free hotline listed in the front matter..."? Personally,
>I'm so tired of computer people who wave wands and pronounce mumbo jumbo &
>proceed to further screw up your system (and your mind). *That's* exactly
>*why* I went into the training field & then into tech writing--to get rid of
>the smoke & mirrors.

I agree with Sally. Our collective job is to tear the walls down, to let
our customers freely and easily use the technology we write about to
improve their drab, wretched lives (and get paid while we do it, of course
;{>}). Yes, we can all obfuscate with the best of them (and better than
most, for words *are* our business, after all) but that's not why we do
what we do, is it?

Have Fun,
Arlen

Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com >>> Use this return address!!!!
IN GOD WE TRUST --- All others must provide data