Re: Technical Writing Job Advertisements

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Job Advertisements
From: Swanson <swanson -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 14:14:08 -0400

This may seem a little devious and dangerous, but perhaps it is time to
LIE just a little bit in order to get the interview. Perhaps LIE isn't the
correct term for it. Tell the truth selectively. If you tell a potential
employer that you are proficient at a number of DTP packages, you may be
able to get an interview. And once you are in the interview, you can make
your case.

Example: Yes, I think I will be an excellent candidate for the position,
and although I have never worked seriously with Frame (or PageMaker or
Quark or whatever), I am confident that it will take me only a short
amount of time, say two or three weeks, to be up and running like a pro.
That's because I know generally about DTP software and I pick things up
quickly.

BTW, that's how I got the job I'm in now. Some employers may scoff, yes,
and some may need someone who can hit the ground running with a particular
DTP package, but I bet in a lot of cases, this strategy will work.