Re: pet peeves

Subject: Re: pet peeves
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- DEATH -dot- KALEIDA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 09:30:19 +0800

>I laughed at the word "telephony" in a job interview. No surprise that they
>didn't hire me. They were serious about it.

But....telephony is a real word. Has been for years. Telephony is
the transmission of sounds over long distances. The word "telephone"
comes from telephony, not vice versa.

Admittedly, its come back into use recently to describe any kind of
communications over phone lines (particularly digital), but there
was a time when it wasn't jargon. :)

Laura