More frighteningly ignorant signage

Subject: More frighteningly ignorant signage
From: Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 12:17:00 PDT

>>Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 11:57:55 -0600
>>From: Matt Hicks <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
>>Subject: Re: pet peeves

>>I saw a hand-lettered sign yesterday that ended a list with
>>"and ect [sic]". The depth of the ignorance is frightening.

I agree emhpatically with Matt. How about the word "Your's" on a BILLBOARD?
I don't remember the context, but I swear to God. Christ, that's not even a
WORD!

And then there's my co-writer B., who sent us all a message yesterday
containing the `word' "alot." I am not making this up. Actually, I expected
no less from this person. Anyone else had the experience of working with
someone whose writing skills are borderline, who needs an eagle-eye check on
everything s/he writes, and who bristles at all the red ink s/he sees on
review copies?

Let's face it: there are some people who should simply never have been hired
as technical commuinicators. Let's hear everybody's dubious-hire stories,
whatever the complaint!

PatO'
|\ \
| |Patrick Brian O'Connell !Intermediate Writer,Eicon Technology|
. |"Ciall agus neart" !Corporation / (B) 514-631-9825 x2250|
\|=====>"Strength and knowledge"!Net:patricko -at- eicon -dot- com |