DOCTORS, ENGINEERS, AND ALL THOSE WITH LARGER BRAINS THAN I

Subject: DOCTORS, ENGINEERS, AND ALL THOSE WITH LARGER BRAINS THAN I
From: HALL Kirby <hall -at- WTHM32 -dot- MONTROUGE -dot- WIRELINE -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 08:36:24 -0600

RE: Karla's comments re:Peggy's comments:

"I think that people like to use information as power. And groups that tend to
be holding tanks for particular types of information (e.g., physicians,
scientific researchers, engineers, etc.) like to be thought of as the _only_
repository for that particular type of information. If they can successfully
place this perception in the public's mind, their power is increased.

To further this end, they like to develop languages (perhaps even writing
styles?) of their own. It's like having a secret code. This increases the
chances that their power will be maintained, because others cannot easily
understand what they're saying or writing."

I would agree with this analysis, and think it is important to say it in as
many public forums as possible. Of course not ALL doctors, etc. are like
this. Einstein, from what I've read, did his best to share his
understanding of the universe with the rest of the scientific community,
and certainly Dr. Spock can't be accused of keeping a liplock on
information. But I have noticed a certain smugness at hospital cocktail
parties and around the lunch table here in the computer world
(SCHLUMBERGER).

Furthermore, this idea of secret codes and lingos permeates our culture.
Witness what goes in groups like the Church of Scientology, where they go
out of their way to use jargon to keep you in the dark and make themselves
appear totally cool. What to do? Fight back. Call them on their smugness.
Make them explain whatever the hell it is their talking about. Someday,
somewhere, a young, budding tech writer will thank you.
Kirby in Paris