Re: Report on how kids ca

Subject: Re: Report on how kids ca
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 04:13:00 UTC

Add to the bad writing on kids papers, the fact that California kids often
have to be taught words that are familiar to kids in the Northeast, or
wherever. Some words and their corresponding pictures my kids didn't
understand: skillet (we have frying pans), snow shovel (It didn't look like
the shovel their Dad used in the yard), galoshes (none in their experience),
rain coats, etc., etc. The teacher had to teach the kids what the words
meant before they could do the papers. Once, when I was helping the class,
I had to sneak over to the teacher and ask her what it was supposed to be
before I could help the kids. <smile>

-Marilynne