The Web described (WWW)

Subject: The Web described (WWW)
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 17:25:32 -0500

Hello all. As you know, the thought of using the
World-Wide Web for publishing/distributing documents
fascinates me, although right now I'm mostly on the
outside looking in.

I just read an article that describes the Web, and I
thought it might be a good reference for others who are
curious. The article is titled, "The Internet Beckons,"
by Bill Machrone in the May 31, 1994 issue of _PC Magazine_.
(OK, so I'm on the bottom of the routing list!)

quoting from page 87:
"The Web is inherently multimedia. It understands a variety of text,
hypertext, graphics, and sound files. The viewer interprets some of
these files directly and loads programs dynamically to allow you to
view/see/hear other formats." cool, huh?

quoting from page 88:
". . . the emphasis is on navigaton and information retrieval. The
stunning thing is the nearly infinite variety of information. You
can read or download academic and scientific papers, track the progress
of standards committees, get answers to FAQs... on nearly any topic,
and get access to many electronic reference materials."

He goes on to describe several light-hearted uses of web sites.
Unfortunately, Mr. Machrone provides no addresses for the information
that he describes.

Oh, he does close the article with the following:
"The easiest way to get onto the Web is to use an existing
Internet connection to FTP (download) a copy of Mosaic to
yourself from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com