ellipses

Subject: ellipses
From: "Segal, Betty S." <bss3 -at- PHPMTS1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 1994 15:16:00 EST

Karen Kay wrote:
". . . . how do you show vertical ellipses? . . ."

All those who replied to this query seemed to know what vertical
ellipses are. Am I the only list member who was confused by this term? I know
only three ways to show that something has been omitted from text:
(1) . . . to show that part of a sentence has been omitted.
(2) . . . . to show that one or more sentences or paragraphs have been
omitted.
(3)* * * [centered between paragraphs] to show the omission of one or more
paragraphs.
The last usage is not common.

What do vertical ellipses look like?

Thanks,
Betty Segal
bss3 -at- phpmts1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov