Software Packages

Subject: Software Packages
From: Saeed Khan <saeed -at- VIZBIZ -dot- VIZBIZ -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 13:18:27 -0400

> anne -at- mccabe -dot- com writes:

> >My company is going to switch from PageMaker Desktop Pub. to
> >another software
> >package. Some suggestions have been Word 6.0, FrameMaker, >and Interleaf.

> I like both Word 6 and FrameMaker. Word 6.0 is a Word Processor that does
> DTP. Frame is a DTP program that processes words. Frame is perfect for long
> documents but has a steep learning curve. However, it's worth it. After 6 to
> 9 months of shouting disallowed expletives at your CRT, you'll wonder how you
> ever lived without it.
> Debbie

I agree that FrameMaker is perfect for longer documents, but it is
great for short ones also.

What is the environment you are working in? Multi-platform? Most PCs?

What type of documents are you creating. If you are already using PageMaker,
then don't move to Word. Word is a word processor. I, and may people
I know, have used both Word and Frame, and would never go back to
Word. Document creation takes about the same time in each,
but try going into someone else's set of Word documents and restructure
them to a new format etc.

The learning curve on Frame is not very high. I pick it up, by myself,
- I read the relevant parts of the manual - in less than a week,
and I was being productive in about a day. Perhaps I am biased since
I work in a Multi-platform (workstations/Mac) environment, but
Frame is a definite productivity tool.

That's my opinion.

Saeed Khan