FrameMaker and ASCII files

Subject: FrameMaker and ASCII files
From: Joe Fockler <jfockler -at- IPHASE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 15:54:18 -0500

Has anyone attempted to create a template in FrameMaker and pull ASCII
files or files from a database? We have a form to release documents and
products. The form calls out the product type, part number, revision
level, reason for change, creator of the change order, etc.

Our MIS department is looking at ways to pull this information into
Frame to make it look nice. The information can be supplied to
FrameMaker in ASCII format, MIF format, or any number of other formats.
The big issues is how to pull in data and to put it in the appropriate
field -- as there are many different fields in this document. The first
thought that came to mind was to give each field a different "flow" but
I'm not sure this approach will work. perl scripts and/or batch files
will likely be used to some extent to get the data in.

Are there any books or tutorials that discuss this issue?

Thanks in advance for your input and wisdom.