Re: Word 6.0a (sort of)

Subject: Re: Word 6.0a (sort of)
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 11:55:42 -0700

On Wed, 20 Jul 1994, John Russell wrote:

> This is kind of off the topic a little, but did you know that Word doesn't
> really delete your text?
> 1. Open a new document and put a few lines of text in it, like
> "This is sample text. Ignore this." Save the document
> as you would a normal document. (I think you don't even
> have to close the document.)
> 2. Delete the original text and put some other text in the
> document. Maybe like, "Never mind." Save the document again
> and close it.>
> 3. Start up Notepad, or some other ascii editor and open the
> document. Mixed in with all the Word markup is your original
> text. (I believe if you search for "This" it'll find it
> for you quickliest. |] )

This is true. One of the magazines made a big too-do about this. It's an
issue for us, in that it's common to send files back and forth,
either on diskette or by e-mail/modem. Word 6.0 can undo the last 100
changes. All of your edits can be recalled, incl. comments and internal
notes.

I tried this with 6.0a; it seems that the undos are cleared when you save
the file. Upon reopening, one can't undo a previous change. Nor is the
deleted text found with Notepad.

-andreas