Re: Let's see some examples, Virginia.

Subject: Re: Let's see some examples, Virginia.
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 14:16:38 EDT

I think the rule David has found is that gerunds of words ending
in e are formed by dropping the e and adding -ing. This is a
valid rule, but I'm not sure it applies to the case at hand.
For whatever it's worth, Webster's Ninth offers either "salable"
or "saleable" but lists "salable" first; the entry is alphabetized
under "salable," and there is no alphabetic entry at "saleable."
That's as close an analogy as we're likely to find.

Wait! Stop the press! "Scalable" is listed in Webster's Ninth,
with a first citation date of 1579 (yes, that's a 5), and the
definition "capable of being scaled." Can we go with that?

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY