Re: Technical Writer Positions

Subject: Re: Technical Writer Positions
From: "D. Citron" <dcitron -at- GATE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 1994 05:17:53 GMT

Cathy S. Zazueta (csz -at- cerf -dot- net) wrote:
: Without taking into consideration experience and other requirements,
: when a job posting asks that applicants have "a degree in Journalism,
: English, Technical Communications or RELATED area," does a degree in
: French or another language qualify as a related field????? It may
: depend on the particular position ... or does it?
: I notice various editorial and writing jobs use these terms, and I've
: always wondered if my undergraduate degree in French fits the bill. I
: did focus on language, translation, stylistics as opposed to literature.

It's really up to the employer's discretion how strictly to interpret it.

I have a degree in accounting, and did both news reporting and
copywriting work before fortuitously discovering tech writing. (It's much
more interesting and more rewarding than watching bloated bureaucrats at
city commission meetings!) But my clips, added to my degree and computer
experience, were enough to get me my first contract. And after about ten
contracts and various freelance projects, my experience now speaks for
itself, and the accounting degree is a definite plus!

Why not look for positions in which your French background would be a
plus? Like documenting travel- or translation-related software?

David H. Citron .................................... dcitron -at- gate -dot- net
Tech Writer/Journalist/Copywriter -- Contract/Freelance/Telecommuting
| Can you trust a government that subsidizes tobacco and tries to |
| ban vitamins to make intelligent choices about YOUR health care? |
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" ... Benjamin Franklin