Internal Guide

Subject: Internal Guide
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 10:49:04 -0825

Marsha at cmawta -at- taux01 -dot- nsc -dot- com wrote:

>I have been asked to prepare an internal technical writing guide
>for SMEs (subject matter experts) in our company that will
>help them provide raw material for us, the technical writers.
[snip]
>Can anyone suggest any materials that will help me prepare such a
>guide.

I recomend as one resource the, "Documentation Development Methodology
(DDM)" by Sandra Pakin & Associates, Inc. It's an approach for "developing
all types of formal written matials". Topics include planning, review,
writing, graphics and production.You can order the book directly from
Sandra Pakin & Associates, Inc., Publications Division, 6007 N. Sheridan
Rd., Chicago, IL 60660. While I have not read the entire book yet, DDM is
comprehensive, well-organized book, and clearly presented. Someone else
recommended the book on TECHWRL-L some months ago.

Nancy S. Burns
National Solar Observatory
Tucson, Arizona
e-mail: nburns -at- noao -dot- edu

"Writing a poem is taking over the 200-inch telescope carefully focused on
the galaxies born at the beginning of the universe and turning it to look
at a child eating mystery meat and string beans 300 miles away." from
"Incantation to Overcome Writer's Block, Maybe" by Lisa Yount.