Question about naming or numbering conventions for graphics

Subject: Question about naming or numbering conventions for graphics
From: Sue MacIntosh <sue -at- PAGES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 18:41:39 -0700

Hi everyone,

I'm faced with the task of going through all the graphics that we
used for our last documentation project, and I need to reorganize and
rename them for our archives and/or future use. We were in a hurry
and just named them according to whatever made sense that week!

Before I make up my own tracking system, I thought I would ask you
what you do. I'm assuming that even if you are not responsible for
the creation of the graphics, you are at least responsible for their
placement in your manuals:

1. When (or if) you're creating your graphics, how do you number or
name them?

2. Do you name them according to what they depict?

3. Do you use some kind of numbering scheme that indicates the
manual they're in or the order in which they're created?

4. Do you name them according to the page on which they occur? This
doesn't seem too practical for working documents, but may be useful
if the graphics are renamed after the document is printed.

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions. If you'd like to email me
privately, I'll post results to the list.

Thanks,

Sue

sue -at- pages -dot- com
Pages Software Inc