Exit & Shut down

Subject: Exit & Shut down
From: David Oberstadt <daveo -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 14:08:01 PDT

MS Windows indeed has 'Exit' on the menu.
OS/2has 'Shut down'--two words. I have never heard anybody
say 'Shut OS/2 down' always 'Shut down OS/2'. I don't see
anything bad with splitting the two words, in the formal
context of documentation, I suggest keeping them together.
As somebody suggested, this can really help translators, too.

There are combinations that are inappropriate *not* to split.
You can shut a business down or shut down a business, OTOH
you can shut me up, but you cannot shut up me. (Maybe you can,
but I don't know what it means.) Is something going on here
that is beyond idiomatic expressions?

David Oberstadt Santa Teresa Lab
daveo -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com San Jose, California