Technology Roadmap

Subject: Technology Roadmap
From: Jane Torpie <JTorpie -at- III-DEVL -dot- MHS -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 13:03:17 EDT

>Does anyone know how a technology roadmap would differ from a paper stating
>strategic direction or vision?

Cynthia -

I'm not precisely sure what you are asking about, but I suspect that the
definition of "technology roadmap" might differ from company to company. In
that spirit, I'll offer my thoughts.

A technology roadmap is probably a plan for what technology you'll need and how
you'll use it to achieve the company vision. I'd guess that the vision comes
first, then the strategic direction, and then the tactical plan for getting
there.

If my opinion aligns with your company's idea of a technology roadmap, I'd
suggest that you then consider not only the hardware/software needed, but also
network access, electronic information and its flow in/out/around the company,
and the need to train employees in new technologies. If you have to do a
timeline, remember the "up-to-speed" time for practicing use of new technologies
before putting them into production mode. And finally, you might want to think
about how we can use new technologies to change the flow of work in our
organizations, doing work in new, more efficient ways rather than just doing the
same tasks faster (automation).

Hope this is helpful ... if it's not, would someone out there correct me?

Jane

Jane Torpie
Member of Technical Staff - Principal Technical Writer
Easel Corporation
Burlington, Massachusetts, USA
617-221-2100
JTorpie -at- EaselCor -dot- mhs -dot- compuserve -dot- com <-------- new address!