Re: "Nonsense Text"

Subject: Re: "Nonsense Text"
From: DaveTaylor -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 09:06:13 EDT

David Dubin writes:

> Another question fellow tech whirlers, do you have any feelings about the
use
> of "nonsense text" to serve as text in an example.

> This is an example of nonsense text:

> In exum fuer des wagol, demp, unz framiz miqqel woddwe
> inu bope parxc frow locqiet.

I don't use nonsense text like your example (unless the client wants it), but
my example text is often nonsensical. Examples are a good place to add a bit
of humor to tech manuals. For example:

EXAMPLE MESSAGE

Bit bucket overflow...call housekeeping.

EXAMPLE MAILING LABEL

Kermit T. Batrachian
1019 Lily Pad Lane
Swamp City FL 12345

I've used both of these examples in manuals. Even when I use nonsense text,
it often isn't (exactly):

EXAMPLE TEXT

Certe, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse.

(From _Latin for all Occasions_, by Henry Beard)

Seriously, I would keep examples understandable. I don't like nonsense text
or "greeking" in examples, unless it REALLY gets in the way of the point the
example is making (and that's unlikely).

Dave
,
` , David M. Taylor ... The word juggler
\o_
# Freelance writer
/ \ Columbia MD USA davetaylor -at- aol -dot- com