Re: XV is NOT shareware if...

Subject: Re: XV is NOT shareware if...
From: DaveTaylor -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 09:05:51 EDT

From Steve Fout:

> LaVonna sayeth unto the list:
> |}
> |} xv, the screen capture and graphics editor for X windows,
> |} is shareware. According to one of my Unix programmers, you
> |} can probably find it at ftp.x.org, the x consortium's main
> |} ftp site. Otherwise use Archie to find it.
> |}

> Sorry LaVonna, but xv, for the purposes being discussed on this list,
> is most definitely NOT shareware.

> From John Bradley's License info:

> XV is shareware for PERSONAL USE only...

> Commercial, government, and institutional users MUST register
> their copies of XV...

Sorry, Steve, but I believe LaVonna is correct and John's use of "shareware"
is misleading.

Software does not have to be free to be shareware (although free shareware is
often called freeware). Shareware is software that is freely available (as
by ftp) for examination or trial use. The author may request payment if you
use it, but that is not what makes it shareware. The key to shareware is the
distribution method.

Dave

DISCLAIMER: This is not a flame.
,
` , David M. Taylor ... The word juggler
\o_
# Freelance writer
/ \ Columbia MD USA davetaylor -at- aol -dot- com