Internship Admission to the Field

Subject: Internship Admission to the Field
From: RICHMAN -at- EVMSVMS -dot- BITNET
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 17:55:50 -0400

I began researching, organizing, and drafting technical documents for
Eastern Virginia Medical School while in my first year of graduate school
(M.A. Professional Writing with an emphasis in Health Sciences).

You see, I advertised an open bid in the local newspaper:

O P E N B I D

Not-So-Busy Writing Student
is not accepting bids for
summer internship position.
Qualifications include blah,
blah, blah, as well as blah-
blah (mostly only on weekends,
though).
Winning Bid will include
rigorous work days, irritable
co-workers, a high-crime parking
area, and involve a commute in
high traffic. I want experience
in the *real* world.
Accepting Bid will involve ZERO
pay and benefits and must involve
learning *on MY part*.

Actully
(oooops), having interviewed my current employer several times for
a research project in medical rhetoric, I offered my assistance with a
publication that she was bringing together. Graduate school was d r o n -
i n g on, so the summer off was quite attractive! I negotiated graduate
credit through my university and got some *real world* experience
(as far a Norfolk, Virginia goes).

Moreover, I was offered a job at the end of my internship (which was great
as I was nearing debt and my dog had begun to hate popcorn).

I sincerely believe, though, that I would not have been offered a job if I
had not done the "extras". I showed up and learned their system of doing
things.... I made myself valuable to them, not just my trade - and, I
think that it made a difference!

BTW: I wrote to Erik ? earlier about this same issue. I also believe that
it is difficult to negotiate a salary range when you will be performing
the same duties as you were "donating". It was an odd way to go...
As you might guess, I have since learned that my salary is moderately minute -
but, hey: I GOT HEALTHCARE!!!!!!!!

A small JOKE! Lisa Richman