Re: Don't "Should" on Me!

Subject: Re: Don't "Should" on Me!
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 16:08:22 CDT

For Dan Dieterich, et all:

I learned to avoid the dreaded "must" while writing software
user manuals for translation into German. The guidelines I received
from Germany indicated German readers react to "must" statements
like Dan Dieterich, they are offened.

"Should" and "will" statements are fine in product specifications,
but elicit negative reader reactions when used in customer documents.
The documents appear uncertain to the reader and that costs sales.
Some customers have returned comment forms asking what they "should" do
if the product doesn't do what it "should."

Be definite, tell your readers what happens, not what "should"
happen.

Best Regards!

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411
STC Mail: cbanks -at- talkdallas -dot- com