The HE/SHE..it Thing

Subject: The HE/SHE..it Thing
From: John Russell <johnr -at- BRS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 11:10:57 EDT

Why not just use "she" instead of "he" and "her" instead of "him"?

TADAAAA!

I know it doesn't solve the gender issue, but where is the rule that says
we have to use "he" and "him" all of the time. Obviously, the assumption
so far is that the only option is to *create* a neutral (non-gender-specific)
pronoun. This is not a safe, or valid, assumption.

The first time I came across "she" replacing "he" was in a baby magazine
that was delivered to my house after my son was born. At first, I was
almost offended! "Well, gollleeeee! My baby is a boy!!!" For the first
time, I felt what women must feel all of the time--slighted and left out.

"As your baby gets older, SHE will begin to realize how many
people need to polish their proofreading skills!"

--

kjr
johnr -at- lurch -dot- brs -dot- com

|/ K. John Russell \||/ \|
| Dataware Technologies, Inc. || My dog jumped out a window! |
| 5 Computer Drive South || Six stories to the patio below. |
| Albany, New York 12205 || I loved that dog. |
|\ (518) 435-4025 /||\ /|