Ads on the Internet

Subject: Ads on the Internet
From: Norma Shulman <Norma_Shulman -at- BOSE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 17:06:45 -0500

Date 5/31/94
Subject Ads on the Internet
From Norma Shulman
To techwr-l

For your information:

I don't know how many papers carried the AP story about ads on the Internet,
so I am sending out this summary of the story found in my Sunday paper. In a
story by Nicole Winfield, the two recent ads that crossed the boundaries into
the non-commercial areas of the Net were mentioned: thigh-thinning cream and
green card advice.

The cream ad was posted on 2,397 news groups and 850 lists. The company that
provided the gateway for this ad crashed after receiving 2 million responses,
mainly protests.

A law firm in Phoenix posted the green card advice ad to 6,000 news groups.
The 38,000 responses shut down Internet Direct's computer. Most were protests,
but 600 people did apply for the advertiser's help with the green card lottery.
Because of this "success, the law firm has created Cybersell, a company
designed to help others get their ads on the Net."

Norma Shulman
Framingham, MA 01701